Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Jill Landrum's two cents

ClarionLedger.com - Sid Salter Blog - E-mail from Jill Landrum - This was a mass e-mail sent out by the Landrum campaign today...

March 4, 2008

Dear Friends and Family,

I realize most of you probably received the following email from Bill Lampton, our Campaign Chair. I just wanted to make sure you got it and of course… add my two cents.

I rarely insist that I remember things…. because I don't. However, we moved to Hinds County in 2002 – Lauren's senior year. There are 4 distinct things I remember about voting in Hinds County. #1 I changed our voter's registration with a campaign staffer. #2 I went to vote at the church on the corner (Ascension Lutheran) My name was not on the voter roll but I remember being told that was "not unusual". I voted affidavit. This was the first time in decades that I voted outside of Madison County and my first time to ever go in that church. #3 I remember going back to vote and my name STILL not being on the voter roll. I told the poll worker that this was my second time to NOT be on the voter roll. So I voted AGAIN by affidavit. #4 I received a letter from Hinds County saying that our votes didn't count because we weren't properly registered. David and I have never insisted that our vote counted, only that we voted! By the time I got this letter we were already moving back to Madison County.

We were at a fund-raiser in Fondren when I got a call from a staffer. Several of our staffers had been going through Hinds County records. They said they found our signatures! It never occurred to me to verify them. The first time I saw the hard copy of what was 'supposed' to be my signature was February 26th. I immediately said, this is NOT my signature! David's signature was questionable because he writes like a chicken and is VERY inconsistent. David and I personally went to find our affidavits. What I learned that day still disturbs me. A lady who I had never met explained that people from OTHER campaigns had been going through the records and her co-worker actually witnessed someone from another campaign moving/hiding records!!! She told us we were "wasting our time". If it WAS here, it isn't anymore or it is buried so deep you won't find it!

That was my first lesson in how nasty politics can be. I am amazed at how many people have offered me 'dirt' and I mean REAL DIRT on our opponents. I can tell you this… I would rather lose with character than win through mud slinging and playing dirty political tricks.

David made a decision to run NOT because he likes politics but because he loves Mississippi and has a burning desire to serve our great state and her people. Sunday's article proved to me once again what a great leader my husband is. In the midst of the turmoil, our campaign manager offered his resignation. 'Political' wisdom says, FIRE HIM, throw him under the bus! David refused the resignation and instead of passing the buck, took personal responsibility. He owned the mistake and said "I should have reviewed the signatures before they were released."

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest!

Jill Landrum

No comments: