Friday, March 7, 2008

Landrum's Last Straw for Henry Barbour

(You can also read this email at Sid Salter's Blog where Salter says, "I received this e-mail from Henry Barbour a few minutes ago...it says far more than I can say about Mr. Landrum's voting record and his campaign's activities"

From: Henry Barbour
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008
Subject: the last straw with David Landrum

I have three friends running for the GOP nomination in the 3rd Cong. District race in MS on March 11. I told each of them last year that I was going to stay out of this race and remain neutral. I have done that. I wish all of them well on Tuesday. However, I am writing because I am furious at David Landrum.

We’ve all read about whether or not he voted over the last 8 years and that he gave Ronnie Musgrove $1,000 days before the election with Haley. He then claimed to have proof that he voted in 2003 by presenting the sign-in sheet for affidavit voters with his signature. For over a week, he stated publicly it was his signature. He told Paul Gallo it was his signature. He told the Clarion Ledger it was his signature. However, after the Clarion Ledger later proved it was not his signature, he admitted it was not. So, he changed his story and then attempted to blame his campaign staff – a cowardly act in my book.

Next, in another effort to salvage an obviously hemorrhaging campaign, he went on the Paul Gallo radio program yesterday morning. On that program, he and his lawyer (can you imagine a political candidate who brings his lawyer to a talk radio show?) accused long-time GOP “foot soldier” Pete Perry of possibly stealing Landrum’s affidavit ballot. They have zero evidence, other than Pete, like several others, was at the Election Commissioner’s office trying to confirm Mr. Landrum’s assertion that he had signed the sign-in sheet, which we now know is not true. Yet, they recklessly attacked Pete Perry’s integrity. And it makes me sick to hear Mr. Landrum say he’s running a “positive campaign”. Give me a break.

Like Pete – I am a “foot soldier” of the GOP and feel compelled to defend my friend and fellow GOP activist. I don’t always agree with Pete, but I know Republicans can always count on him to work with great passion for his Party and our candidates, and I greatly respect that. Therefore, I feel duty-bound to question Mr. Landrum’s hypocritical and arrogant accusations. If he had just come clean and not tried to spin why he had not voted or given money to Musgrove, this would have been a one-day story. I have heard a famous Mississippi political operative say more than a few times when you’ve got bad news – get it out fast. Mr. Landrum has taken a different approach and now has gotten to the point of desperation that he is attacking the “foot soldiers” of the Party in an effort to move the focus off of him. I hate to tell him, but he’s just making us activists angry with his actions. Therefore, I am still neutral in this race, but I urge you to share this with Republican voters in the 3rd CD and ask them to support one of the good candidates.

I am hopeful that Mr. Landrum will not make the run-off; however, I understand he has spent over $400,000 of his own money in this race. If he makes the run-off, I would not be surprised to see him effectively try to purchase our nomination. I hope y’all will join me in working to make sure that does not happen, but hopefully he will finish with only a handful of votes on Tuesday and not make the run-off.

Some of you may not know me, so here’s a little political background on me…I have been involved in Republican politics essentially all of my life. I grew up doing grassroots work in Yazoo City because my father always needed more volunteers in local races. I learned a lot about elections and people. I worked as a field rep in George Bush’s race in 1988 and then moved to DC to work in his administration and then finished my time in Washington working under Haley at the RNC. I came home to Yazoo City and ran Chip Pickering’s first race for Congress in 1995-96 – then ran his “big race” against Ronnie Shows in 2002. I also ran Haley’s race for Governor in 2003. After Mike Retzer stepped down as Republican National Committeeman from Mississippi, I ran for that post, won it and still hold it.

If you find this email helpful, I would encourage you to share it with others. If you don’t, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Henry Barbour

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Right on Henry! Look folks, Barbour is correct. Republicans and Mississippians will regret this election if we choose David Landrum. A vote for Harper, Rounsaville, or Ross is a good vote to make.

Unknown said...

I'm for John Rounsaville. I think we need a Bulldog in Congress. But anybody is better than David Landrum.

Unknown said...

David Landrum has spent a million dollars to become a political joke. In future years we will warn candidates, "Be careful, you don't want to pull a Landrum in this race."